Thursday, April 19, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Craft

Strawberry Shortcake Craft
First of all, I want to say THANK YOU!!  I have been working my way up through Top Mommy Blogs, and I am currently ranked #4!  I keep thinking this must be a mistake.  I remember when I first started blogging and I wasn't even qualified to be on the list, let alone in the top 5!  So, thank you very, very much for all your support.  It means the world to me!   (If you've never voted for me before, you simply have to click on the banner at the bottom or to the left and this registers a vote for me.)
So, back to crafts.  My daughter LOVES Strawberry Shortcake, but lately she is only interested in this one particular book:


                     

Why this one?  Because in this one Strawberry has long hair.  Seriously, she won't even consider reading the versions with short hair so this gave me an idea.  My favorite crafts are always based on books and I always prefer cheap crafts.  All I needed for this was paper, yarn and contact paper.  For this, I traced out a flat paper doll and asked her to cut it out.  Honestly, this was the hardest part since I'm not super artsy.  For anyone else challenged in this department, I included a printable below so you can just use it instead of wasting your time on it like I did.


Once she was ready, we put Strawberry onto some contact paper on the table.  Then I have her a bunch of red yarn for "Strawberry's hair".  Notice how long it is!  Then I also cut out some little hearts and polka dots and let her choose how to decorate Strawberry. 

craft, preschoolers, toddlers, strawberry shortcake, easy craft, cheap craft, craft based on books

She ended up putting the hearts above Strawberry's head, which wasn't exactly what I intended, but hey, it's her craft, not mine!  I initially intended to cover the top with more contact paper so she could keep it as a sort of "flat doll".  With the way it turned out, we hung it on the wall instead, but she sure does love it!  I think it would work either way, but the contact paper underneath works really well for holding all that hair in place.


decorating, creative, craft

Meanwhile, Little Buddy colored his version of Strawberry and glued stuff to her.  I didn't give him contact paper or yarn because he kept getting hands stuck in it and getting confused, so coloring was much more his style.
color, markers, toddlers, glue
Later that night, she told this was, "My most favorite activity we've ever done!"  We even did it again later when her BFF from next door came over.  They had a blast doing it together and this time we used blue yarn for "Blueberry" and yellow yarn for "Lemon" and they used stickers and markers to decorate Lemon and Blueberry.

Here is the printable that you can use for your "Strawberry".  This should be all set up to be 8.5x11 so you should be able to just click on it and print it out.  This was a very easy craft so have fun and let me know how you did!

printeable for strawberry shortcake, preschooler, crafts, toddlers
Add caption

If you enjoyed this post, you will love my book!  It was released in July, 2012 and I wrote it with Susan Case, a Kindergarten Teacher.  If you have ever tried to cook dinner while your kid clings to your leg and cries, this is the book for you!  We worked together to give a Mom's point of view and a teacher's point of view, so that we could give you activities that not only keep the kids busy, but also keep them motivated to learn and develop their natural curiosity.  Kids behave better when they are given challenging projects to work on, which will in turn give you more free time to do the things you really need to do, like washing dishes, paying bills, and relaxing so that you can be a better Mom!




Did you enjoy my post?  Don't forget to vote for me by clicking the banner below.  You can also enter your email address below to receive all my updates!  I really appreciate your support!!

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Want to see all my posts?  Put your email address here to become a subscriber!

Enter your email address:
Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Strawberry Shortcake with so many variations and learning opportunities. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter loves Strawberry Shortcake! In fact, her second birthday party had a SS theme! We'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping over from UBP. Glad I made it & met you. I like the activities you've shared and will be back to see what else you have.

    Stop by when you get a chance
    http://www.HowToHomeschoolMyChild.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. The UBP sure is a fun way to meet new people. Nice activities for the little ones! So glad to have been here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I love the idea. I babysit and I am always looming for fun crafts to keep the kids busy! I love you blog. Check mine out an let me know what you think! www.thediaryofarealhousewife.bligspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the Strawberry Shortcake template/idea. I'm still hopping around from the UBP! I've added your blog button to my button exchange page on my blog. Feel free to visit me at any of these locations:

    http://allaroundthecircle.blogspot.com/2012/04/welcome-ultimate-blog-party-hoppers.html
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftwithkids/
    http://pinterest.com/craftwithkids/
    https://twitter.com/#!/CraftWithKids

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Strawberry Shortcake is still around! All I wanted was a Strawberry Shortcake for my birthday when I was 9. My friends all had them and (human nature ;) I wanted one too. My mum bought me Lemon Meringue. I was so disappointed and I felt inferior to my friends because I didn't have a Strawberry Shortcake doll! I am over it now. I love how kids always have their own take on crafts, no matter what our intention was, they will have another spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! My daughter loves Strawberry Shortcake, too!

    Congrats on making your way through the top mommy blogs rankings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun!!! Thanks Katie..I will be linking this up to my post :)

    ReplyDelete