Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Secret Amusements and Heartache of a Working Mom




Secret Amusements and Heartache of a Working Mom


Yesterday Little Buddy was sick.  He didn't feel good and he needed his Mommy.  I wanted to cuddle and hold him and make him feel better.  Instead I had to drive 6 hours in the car to an important customer meeting in an attempt to salvage my big deal of the year.  Since I'm in sales, I'm really feeling the pressure that always comes at the end of the year. 

I'm lucky because I have a nanny so I don't have to cancel important meetings when the kids are sick.  On the other hand, there is nothing more excruciating than having to worry about your son's cough when you're 200 miles away.  Frankly, my nanny probably has it the worst because I have to pry my hands away from phone to keep myself from calling every 10 minutes to check up on everyone.  How is he?  Is he crying?  Does it seem like Munchkin Girl is sick too?  Does he still have a fever?  What is it?  Have you given him Advil?

Poor girl.  I don't know how she puts up with me.  To combat this nervous energy while I was stuck in the car, I decided to find ways to amuse myself.  I had to stop at a gas station on the way down to pee.


Look closely.  The soap dispensers have been removed for unknown reasons.  Instead, they placed a mysterioius blue liquid into a catsup bottle and placed it on top of the counter.  I opted for Purrell at this location.


Okay, I'm sorry.  Maybe I have a dirty mind, but why can't they just change the name of this franchise?  Does it really have to be KUM & GO???!!??



This was an advertisement for a tech center.  Frankly, I thought this was pretty clever marketing.


I had to pee again on the way home, so I tried to pick a classier gas station.  I was fooled.  Check out this sign, taped to the lock.  Very comforting.  Oh, so the door DOES lock...


Just in case you were smoking at the gas station, here is where you put your cigarette butt.  Nicely labeled.


By this time, the nanny had taken Little Buddy to the doctor and they put him on some oral steroids to help his breathing.  Mommy likes medicine so I was happy.  My meeting went well, but it was a long day in the car being stressed about Little Buddy.  I decided to treat myself to an ice cream cone from MacDonald's.  I heard they only have 80 calories.  At least that's what I tell myself in order to rationalize an ice cream cone at 2:00 in the afternoon.

I pulled up to the window and ordered. 

"I'm sorry Ma'am, we don't have vanilla ice cream cones."

"What," I almost screamed.  I really did feel almost frantic.  "Are you serious?  Did McDonald's discontinue ice cream cones???"

"Ma'am you're at Wendy's not McDonald's."

Oops.  Mommy needs a vacation. Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

20 comments:

  1. I am literally cracking up so loud...again...while reading your blog. My husband is tidying up the house and getting things ready for your upcoming visit. So glad I married that guy. Thanks for making me laugh even when I'm not talking to you!

    -dd

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he he he...you sure have a way of picking the stations. Nasty...reminds me of our road trips through Montana (on our way from WA to UT). No worries...we carry BOTTLES of sanitizer in our car.

    I sure hope your little dude gets feeling better soon. That's NO fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are priceless. Yes, bottles of sanitizer are a must in a car. I even carry a small one in my purse. Thus, I am a big purse carrier. Never know when you might have a chance to read on the Kindle. I hope Little Buddy is better and you find an ice cream cone. You deserve it! Honestly, my daughter went on and on when she found a Dairy Queen ice cream wrap-around tiny piece of paper in the car. How dare I go to the DQ without her?! Don't leave any evidence in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    This post is way too funny. I love it! From the first picture I went ewww, then to the second I laugh so hard that my cheeks hurt, the third pic made me think (very clever), the fourth is just a damn shame and I had a day that I was trying to order something but it was from a wrong store. lol Yeah...we all have though days.

    I am happy your son is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen that questionable name of that station too and they definitely need to change the name - ASAP! LOL...Found you on Bloggy Moms and love your blog! I'm now a follower and hope you will follow back?? http://blendedbeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha, ha. This is great. I needed a laugh. Following you from VB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is too funny! I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the worst when they're sick. I had to be out of town for a week last winter when my baby had a horrible cold and fever. I was pretty sure I was the worst mother in the world. But we've got to put food on the table and medicine in their mouths, right?

    I love the bathroom photos. I always wonder if people think I'm gross if they see me leaving the bathroom without washing my hands, but it's really just because I'm heading straight to my giant bottle of hand sanitizer in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They should have an app for bathroom hunting on the road. Somewhere where the bathrooms are reviewed and rated. Love your post! Found you on the Exposure 99% Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bathroom pics are too funny! I hope that your little one is feeling better! New follower from bloggy moms, have a great evening! You can find me at
    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/
    Stop by when you get the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I love it. It sounds like my life :)

    Stopping by from the Finding New Friends hop and am now a GFC follower. Love the name of your blog, too

    http://theantijunecleaver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're quite funny. (I agree with you about the "Kum and Go". That's just gross!) Following via blog hop, hope you follow back :) http://modernmommyreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a day for you! And in between it all you took the time to take pictures. Awesome!!
    I used to work 12 hours a day outside the home, for over 10 years, no I know how you feel. Moms always feel guilty. But you are lucky to have help and that you have a good job to provide for you all. It's always best to look at things positively, I find that good energy and more good things come my way when I do than when I worry or am negative. So just take it slow and try to sneak in some time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha!!! This was hilarious.. well, not the part about little buddy being sick. Poor thing. But your pics are awesome! And no, you're not the only one who thinks the Kum and Go is a dreadful name for a store!! What were they thinking???

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I'm following you back on GFC! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Smiles, Jenn @Misadventures in Motherhood

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny! I am in sales too and can totally relate to lots of these photos. I have never thought of documenting them on my blog. Such a funny post, love the ice-cream part!

    Heather
    www.ourgirlskeepusmoving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is hysterical!! Love the advertisement for the tech center. Door does lock,lol:) such cute signs. Kum and go-lol. Thanks for linking up. Great post to read today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those were awesome! I just loved it. And yes I have a perverted mine too when I read the Kum and Go sign. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha new follower here from Blog Hop and LOVE this post!!! Thanks for the good laugh on a very boring Friday afternoon at the office.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed the pictures especially the gas station sign. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Kum (come, cum?) joke!? Katie, you have edge, girl. Very funny.


    Heidi Ferrer www.GirltoMom.com

    ReplyDelete