Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Bad Days REALLY Make Me Appreciate the Good Days

A Working Mommy's Perspective: Why the Bad Days Make Me Appreciate the Good Ones
Last Thursday was one of the WORST days of my life.  I'm not a drama queen, it really was terrible.  I had to travel four hours away for a presentation to a customer site, as part of my new territory for my job.  I'm not thrilled to be traveling to begin with, and I walk out of my hotel at 6:00am, only to find blowing winds and snow all over the ground.  Wonderful.

I get in my car and even though the roads are slick, I'm not too worried because my meeting doesn't start until 7:30 and it would normally only take 20 minutes to get there.  I'm not worried until I hit the highway.  Traffic isn't even moving, there are cars in every ditch, police lights are flashing everywhere.  It's pretty much mass chaos.  I creep along the highway and at 6:45 I'm started to get panicky.  I've still only gone about a mile in 45 minutes and my meeting is still scheduled to start at 7:30.

Well fast forward to 8:15 and I'm still in my car on the highway.  I know I should probably get off and take a sidestreet, but I don't know this city well enough to navigate the side streets.  I'm now 45 minutes late the meeting.  Cars are sliding around all over the place and I honestly feel like I'm lucky to be alive when I finally pull up at my customer site at 8:45, over an hour late and almost three hours after I left my hotel at 6:00.  I only drove 15 miles. 

I spend the next 6 hours talking to customers about our products and I haven't even had a chance to eat or drink anything when I run to my car at 3:00.  My goal is to make it home in time to put the kids to bed.  Unfortunately it's been snowing all day still and the roads are still bad so my four hour drive turns into 5 and a half and I miss putting the kids to bed.

You would think this would make me gloomy, but the next morning the kids wake up and they make up for everything that happened the day before.  They are SO excited to see me and I've never seen them so sweet.  They both keep coming up to hug me and Munchkin Girl keeps telling me how much she missed me (Keep in mind it was only one day).  Even Little Buddy keeps pausing while playing with his trucks. He lays his head on my lap, gives me a huge grin, and then goes back to his trucks.  It really makes me realize how lucky I am to be able the be the one who normally gets to get them out of the bed in their pajamas and feed them breakfast.  I love sitting at the table with them and then reading them books while they sit in my lap before we get dressed for the day.  Sure, sometimes they scream and fight and demand pink forks when I don't have pink forks, and I don't love ALL my days as a working Mom, but the bad days sure make me appreciate the good days.



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

20 comments:

  1. that does sound like a bad day! I hate driving in the snow, especially when you're somewhere unfamiliar! But that's so great that the kids can make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate driving in snow. Glad you made it safely back. Kid hugs and kisses make up for so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds awful! Happy you were ok.
    Alpine Dermatology

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww - I love this story. I had something similar happen. Last Wednesday was my husband's (delayed) holiday party. His parents watched Taylor from right after work until her bedtime so I didn't really get to see her.

    When she cried for her middle of the night feeding, she looked up and saw me and had the HUGEST grin on her face. She missed me.

    I couldn't have been more pleased. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sweet. Your kids are adorable.

    So glad you made it home safely. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    Just wanted to stop by and say hi! I'm your newest follower from the Weekend Gathering Hop. :)

    That is so sweet. Your kids sound precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI!! I'm your newest follower from Friday Blog Hop! Come visit me when you get a chance :)

    www.thechickenistareviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! You almost made me cry! This was my life up to a year ago. I have been blessed since the birth of my daughter to be at home now...but I could totally empathize :) Thank you so much for linking up today! I stole your cute button:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are using a HP printer, the you can also try contacting the HP printer support to help you out in this. Also look for hp printer installation guide.You may also use the Windows Printer Trouble-shooter to fix installing problems with printer drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Garmin express is an application for product registration, device updates, pre-loaded map updates, syncing fitness data with compatible products. Garmin Express is a free application which provides you some essential tools to manage your Garmin devices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A valuable and instructive blog here I read and really its very helpful for me. I also lovable to share all these precious guidance with another candidates. Along with this the instructive information of Bhutani Alphathum is really a nice way to allowance with your viewers

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blog contain all the informative content. Here, I really feel free to share my views as this is a really helpful blog. If there anybody is facing any problems regarding Ithum’s Galleria , you are freely visit our website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can enjoy local channels of sports and entertainment with the highest quality of video resolution.A new feature called ‘4K On Demand’ comes to FuboTV Connect Code, which will help you browse exclusive 4k videos and channels. To choose this feature, just click on Fubo.tv/Activate and tap on the ‘4K on Demand’option.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get the latest Magellan GPS Update from the experts. We are one of the leading name in the industry of map updates and services. Just free to dial our 24*7 number to get more information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the useful information which you shared throughout your blog. I appreciate the way you shared the relevant, precious, and perfect information. Furthermore, I would like to share some information about Peergrowth. Peergrowth is a executive search firms in Dubai, to know more about the services, just visit the website and take complete information about Peergrowth. I hope, you will get immediate assistance and the right information through the website.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HBSE 12th Previous Question Paper are very important for the Preparation of Public Exam of Secondary Education, Haryana Education Board for the Students. 11th / 12th Students of can easily get their Latest and most valuable Mock Test Paper from this website. Haryana 12th Question Paper 2022 Students only have to Download the Haryana Board 12th Mock Test Paper 2022 for all the important subjects are available English, Hindi, Home Science, Math, Physical Education, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Social Science, Urdu etc. Haryaba Board 12th Model Paper 2022 Available Students you can Download in Pdf format form this web page below given links.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fubo TV is one of the streaming TV applications. Here we get to watch several live things such as live sports, live international episodes, movies, live TV shows, and many others. The Fubo TV app also runs on mobiles and tablets. There are more than 100 channels and some add-on services where we get many channels and some additional subscriptions. free live streaming on fubotv

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kerala Technological University is one of the most popular universities in south India which is in Kerala State. This university is now renamed Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University with headquarters in Thiruvananthapuram. For log in this ktu students login University is also known for its unique approval of education. The innovative ideas that bring students to experience good education through digital platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every user can update the honda navigation system with ease. All you have to do is follow some basic instructions, and you can update the honda Navi by yourself. Most of the time, customers ask whether their updates are free or paid.

    We want to inform you that all Honda Navi updates are free of cost most of the time. A few times, the updates are paid if you have an older honda vehicle. Many times consumers end up paying a good amount of money to the local dealers. We want to inform you that you can get the updates for yourself without paying any additional fees or charges if you can follow some basic steps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love this saying! It's so true - the bad days really do make us appreciate the good days. what is troypoint It's a reminder that no matter how tough things get, there's always something to be thankful for. It's an inspiring and beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete