Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Different Way to Practice Cutting

Work on Fine Motor Skills With Montessori-Inspired Cutting Paper Techniques
I visited a Montessori preschool last year and although it was too far to drive so we didn't end up going there, they had some really neat activities that I now do at home occasionally.  One activity they did with the kids was a new way to cut.  The teacher traced something onto a piece of paper and then the child used a push pin to make hundreds of tiny holes on the line.  I watched a kid spend quite awhile working on his line and now my daughter does the same thing.  We place the tracing on the carpet and then my daughter uses a large push pin.  It's fun to watch because it takes a lot of concentration and fine motor skill and I can just see her getting stronger and smarter!!



Once there are enough holes (and when my daughter gets bored), I can take over and use the Push Pin to "cut out" the tracing.  I just slide the Push Pin all around and the heart easily comes out and now my daughter is so proud that she "cut out" the hear using her Push Pin!



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I awarded you the Versatile blog award! Check it out at http://www.mybizarrefamily.com/2012/01/i-received-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great activity! I will definitely have to do that one! Glad I found you from the Exposure 99% Blog Hop. You can find me at www.lucasandmahina.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for the little ones!
    I am blog hopping & following you from Katherine's Corner. Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/. Stop by and check out our cool giveaway! Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea! I'm a new follower from the Exposure 99% Blog Hop.

    Stop by my blog if you get a chance. www.northernontariomommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is an awesome idea!!! I am going to have to try that with my youngest! He doesn't know how to use the scissors yet, so he'd like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun activity! Will have to try it out with my son! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like so much fun! They learn the practice behind cutting before they are even able to use scissors. Great Idea. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great idea...I will have to try that with my girls!Glad to be a new follower. You can follow me back at http://thelittlelilypad.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. creative way to achieve dexterity. great idea, really. Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop at Katherines Corner. Hugs and smooches and wishes for a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. New follower from the blog hop, please follow back

    www.countryliving-productreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen this before and think it's good fine motor practice and encourages focus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing it at Sharing Saturday!! We are definitely going to try this at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea,thanks for joining my Valentine blog hop on Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea. I think even older ones might find it fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmmmm that is different way to cut! Great idea. Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh a great idea indeed! Seems to work well!

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haryana Board Class 11th and 12th Standard of Senior Secondary Students can download Arts, Science, and Commerce stream study material with solved question papers for all medium general and vocational course SA-1, SA-2, FA-1, FA-2, term and annual final examination tests for government and private college students to the academic year of 2022. Haryana 12th Question Paper 2022 We have suggested to each General & Vocational course student of Haryana Bhiwani Board Senior Secondary 1st & 2nd-year candidate can contact subject experts of the college or class teacher to get subject wide practice question with sample model paper in chapter wide to each lesson of the course.

    ReplyDelete